Perhaps you have a family member who is now a permanent resident in Canada, s/he can sponsor you or any family member to the country. This approach can help to speed up the permanent resident visa application process for immigrants.
The Canadian immigration policy revolves around uniting families. This policy has helped many immigrants to sponsor their family members in Canada.
Here are some of the conditions you must meet before you can sponsor a close relative to Canada whether for work, study or live.
- You must present a clean criminal record.
- You must be at least 18 years.
- You must be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen.
- In case you are a permanent resident, you must be free from any removal order.
- You must prove to the immigration officials that you can provide the basic needs of your relatives.
- You must be ready to agree with the Canadian government that you will provide financial support to your sibling or close family member for a specific period.
- You must be free from debt that’s associated with any sponsorship application.
- You must see to it that your relative maintain sound behavior and has a clean criminal record.
- The sibling or close family member that you’re sponsoring must be below 18 years.
- However, you can still sponsor a relative who is above 18 years if you have no close relative in Canada.
You should know that Canadian citizens cannot be sponsored. If you became a Canadian citizen after you had your child or your child was born in Canada, they might already be a Canadian citizen.
How to apply to sponsor your relative
The first thing is to get all the necessary forms and fill them. Once you’re through with this step, you’re required to pay the following fees:
- The permanent resident fee.
- Biometrics fee.
- Document processing fee for the relative you’re sponsoring and their dependent.
Your relative will receive a letter once you’ve paid the fees. The letter will contain instructions on carrying out biometrics and medical exercises at a particular location. Your sibling or close family member should take this letter along when it’s time to submit the biometric results.
Try as much as possible to fill the form correctly and encourage your relative to do the same too. This will reduce the risks of the visa application getting rejected or delayed.